Home Away From Home
On the corner of Columbia Avenue and First Street in Morris, sits a warm, inviting home. From the outside, it doesn’t look too different from many other homes in the Morris community, but inside residents and their families find physical, emotional and spiritual support. The Courage Cottage provides specialized care in a home-like setting. Their specialty care services have brought support and comfort to countless residents and their families since its inception in 2001. The Stevens County community has come to know and depend on the Courage Cottage for its excellent services right here at home. The Stevens Community Medical Center (SCMC) owns and operates the Courage Cottage as a department of the healthcare center. They contract with area hospice and homecare providers to coordinate nursing care.
Courage Cottage provides care for:
- Those with a terminal illness who are in need of around the clock care.
- Those in need of alternative care setting for longer periods of time.
- Vitals daily
- Social services
- Light housekeeping weekly
- Staff access 24/7 (RN, LPN and caregivers)
- RN assessment upon admission, every 90 days and as needed
- Personal care services including: dressing, toileting, grooming, bathing and transferring
- Transportation to SCMC for medical appointments
- Laundry daily
- Health care status change observations, by trained caregivers
- Weekly medication set-up by RN
- Care conferences up to 3 times a year
- Range of motion/walking program as ordered
- Oxygen management (excluding tanks and tubing)
- Special feeding
- Continence care
- Preparation of modified diets
- Dietary assessments as needed from registered dietician
Your Support is Needed
The Courage Cottage relies on fundraising efforts to meet operating expenses. Unfortunately, the cost to the resident does not fully cover the expenses. We remain committed to keeping resident fees affordable to make services accessible for everyone. In order for the Courage Cottage to meet its financial needs and be fully sustainable, your contributions are needed. We are asking those who believe in the Courage Cottage and those people who have experienced excellent care and services to consider making a contribution to the Courage Cottage. Every dollar given makes an impact and is directly used for services, materials, equipment, and maintenance needs to ensure every resident receives the very best care possible.
The Courage Cottage holds a few fundraisers thoughout the year, such as the Dessert Derby and a Turkey Trot. All proceeds go to benefit the Courage Cottage. Every dollar given makes a difference for Courage Cottage residents and their families. We welcome and treasure any amount. Memorial gifts are a wonderful way to honor and remember a loved one and to in turn support the Courage Cottage.
Please call for more information or to take a tour. The Courage Cottage director can be reached at 320-585-5133.